Latest Updates on Afghanistan, 18 February 2021
1- New York Times report quoted by American officials:
The US Department of Defense has presented plans to increase US troops in Afghanistan and provide air support to the Afghan army.
– A Taliban mine workshop in Maiwand was discovered and destroyed by security forces, and two Taliban members were arrested during the operation.
– 11 Taliban members were killed during the army operation in Arghandab district. (image)
Taliban attacked a security checkpoint on Samangan-Pule Khumri road.
Eight people were killed and four others were wounded during an army airstrike on a Taliban hideout in the district of Yaftal, according to the Afghan Ministry of Defense.
– 13 Taliban members were killed and 10 others were wounded in clashes between the army and the Taliban in the district of Nawa, according to the Afghan Ministry of Defense. The army also discovered and defused 18 mines and booby traps in these areas.
– Three civilians died as a result of a mine explosion in Nahre Saraj district.
– During the army attacks on the gathering of Taliban forces in the Mizan district, 5 people were killed.
– Army airstrikes on Taliban positions in the district of Safa.
A landmine blast targeted a convoy of security forces in Almar district. Seven people were killed.
A bomb blast in the Rozanak area of the Herat-Islam Qala road killed two security personnel. The explosion took place at the same time as the investigation delegation for the fire incident at the Islam Qala crossing visited the area.
Five members of the army were killed when an army tank collided with a mine in the village of Suf Karz in Kajran.