Latest Updates On Iraq, 18 January 2023
ISWNews Analysis Group – The IRGC Quds Force commander, Esmail Qaani visited the location of martyrdom of General Qasem Soleimani and Iraqi Martyr Abu Mahdi Al-Muhandis in a trip to Baghdad.
– On January 11, Prime Minister of the Kurdistan Region of Iraq Masrour Barzani met and conferred with Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia Al-Sudani in capital Baghdad. In the meeting, the two sides held talks on the most significant national issues as well as the collaboration between the central government and the Kurdistan Region were discussed with the aim of providing better services to the Iraqi people throughout the country.
– On January 11, Speaker of Iraq’s Parliament Mohammed Al-Halboosi met with his Jordanian counterpart Ahmad al-Safadi in the Iraqi capital.
– On January 12, the Iraqi resistance groups attacked a logistics convoy belonging to the US invaders in al-Taji region of Baghdad province.
– On January 13, the ISIS terrorist group issued a statement declaring that its elements attacked a joint patrol convoy, comprising of the Iraqi army and anti-terrorism forces in the Al-Tabi district of Tarmiya town in north of Baghdad.
– On January 16, Commander of the Quds Force of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Esmail Qaani visited the location of martyrdom of General Qasem Soleimani and Iraqi Martyr Abu Mahdi Al-Muhandis in a trip to Baghdad.
– On January 16, the personnel of the 12th Brigade of the Popular Mobilization Forces kicked off an operation in Taramiya area in north of the Iraqi capital to hunt and capture ISIS terrorists.
– On January 16, Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani held talks with White House Coordinator for the Middle East and North Africa as well as US President Joe Biden’s envoy Brett McGurk on US-Iraq relationship and the ways to reinforce the ties at various levels and in different fields.
– On January 16, Commander of the Quds Force of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Esmail Qaani took part in the funeral service of the wife of martyr Seyed Mohammad Baqir Hakim, a senior Iraqi Shia Islamic Scholar and the leader of the Supreme Council for Islamic Revolution in Iraq (SCIRI).
2- Salah Al-Din:
The security officials of Salah Al-Din province announced that the Iraqi security forces and Hashd al-Shaabi are on high alert to repel any ISIS attack.
On January 13, Kormor gas field in the Chamchamal region of Iraqi Kurdistan, which is under the management of the UAE-based Dana Gas Company, was targeted by a rocket attack by unknown groups.
On January 11, ISIS news sources announced the attack of elements of this terrorist group on the Iraqi police headquarters in al-Binkani village in al-Miqdadiyah region. According to ISIS, as a result of this operation, one police force was martyred and another person was injured.
On January 14, Abdul Amir Rashid Yarallah, Chief of the General Staff of the Army and Qais Al-Mohammadavi, Deputy Head of the Iraqi Joint Operations Headquarters, arrived in Kirkuk province to inspect the latest security situation.
6- Iraqi Interior Minister Abdul Amir al-Shammari announced the deployment of 6,000 auxiliary police forces at border bases with the aim of controlling Iraq’s borders with Iran and Turkey.