Latest Updates on Iraq, 28 August 2020
The headline of the latest news and the most important developments in Iraq in the last 24 hours
– Hashad al-Shaabi (PMU) carried out a clearing operation in Mosul and Kirkuk
The forces of the 33rd Brigade of Hashad al-Shaabi carried out a security operation in a part of the western half of the city of Mosul.
The 16th Brigade of Hashad al-Shaabi also carried out a patrol and clearing operation in the Al-Wara area of southwestern Kirkuk.
– 3 Katyusha rockets hit the security zone of Baghdad
Four rockets were fired at the US terrorist embassy in the area. The rockets fired at the Green Zone of Baghdad proved the ineffectiveness of the US C-RAM defense system recently installed in the area..
In a separate attack, a Katyusha rocket struck Baghdad’s Jaderiya district near the Green Zone.
– French Defense Minister Florence Parley arrives in Iraq
During the visit, the French Defense Minister met with Iraqi officials in Baghdad and with Kurdish regional officials in Erbil to discuss bilateral issues, including the development of security and military cooperation.
During a meeting with Parley, Iraqi President Barham Saleh stressed the need to stop Turkish military attacks on Iraqi territory.
Some sources report that French President Emmanuel Macron will visit Baghdad next week.
– Visit of Saudi Foreign Minister Faisal bin Farhan to Iraq
During the visit, the Saudi Foreign Minister met with his Iraqi counterpart and Iraqi Prime Minister Al-Kadhimi.
– ISIS attacks on Iraqi forces’ positions in Jurf al-Nasr and al-Miqdadiyah areas
In the Miqdadiyah area, one of the Iraqi army forces was martyred as a result of this attack.
– Continuation of Turkish airstrikes in northern Iraq
In a new round of Turkish airstrikes against Iraq, the Haftanin area in Zakho and Mount Matin in Dohuk province were targeted by Turkish military aircraft.