Latest Updates in Iraq, 6 July 2020
Latest news of political developments and attacks on US positions in Iraq
1. The reaction of political figures to the insult of Saudi newspaper “al-Sharq al-Awsat” to Ayatollah Sistani:
– After the insult of al-Sharq al-Awsat newspaper in the form of cartoon, Iraqi protesters on Saturday gathered near the Saudi embassy by entering to the Green Zone and withdrew from this place after reading the statement. During the clashes between protesters with security forces, several protesters were injured.
– Hadi al-Ameri, the al-Fath parliamentary coalition chief: The Al-Saud regime has again violated the red lines and high values of the Iraqi nation, and through its yellow media, al-Sharq al-Awsat, has insulted to the supreme Shiite authority, Ayatollah Sistani.
– The Iraqi media published a significant image of Ayatollah Sistani, in response to this cartoon. (the above image)
2. According to order of Iraqi prime minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi, Abdul Ghani al-Asadi (the former head of the anti-terrorism organization) and Qasem al-Araji (the interior minister during Heidar al-Abadi term), were replaced with Faleh al-Fayadh, in the national security service and Iraqi national security adviser.
3. Installation and deploying of the US defense system at the embassy of this country in Baghdad.
– According to some sources, this system is a Centurion C-RAM model that was tested by the US last night in this place.
– After testing this system on last night, a rocket was fired on the US embassy in Baghdad, that also was activated the mentioned system, and it’s said have had been unsuccessful in destroying the rocket.
4.Ammar Hakim announced the formation of a new coalition, “Iraqis”.
5. Turkish operation in north of Iraq:
– Ahmed Mulla Talal, Iraqi ministers council spokesman: the Iraqi government has strongly announced its protests about Turkey’s actions, to the ambassador of this country and will pursue its rights through the international law framework. These actions hurt the rooted relations between the two friendly nations of Iraq and Turkey.
– The Iraqi foreign ministry spokesman, in an interview with Sky News: Iraq will try to reach a political solution with Turkey, for stopping the unilateral military operation of this country in Iraqi territory.
6. Firing the Katyusha rocket on international airport of Baghdad.
It’s said these rockets have not hit the target or have not been exploded after the hit.